Tuesday 24 March 2020

TCWG short stories Journal 8

Hello everybody, I belong to a wonderful writing group and the leader has suggested that we write, to unite us all even more.

It's hard to write about horrible things for me, I have always a fan of happily ever after,, for everyone.

My brother has always been very wary of social media and thinks it's all very dodgy.
Even though skype has been around for awhile he's never been interested. He is quite happy with a landline conversation while we both sip a cup of tea and discretely bite biscuits and have a good old chinwag. We talk about everything, books, films, the state of the world, his art, our families, and hundreds of other things and of course our greatly loved parents. I love talking to him , I always have done, I admire him so much and ever since I can remember I have been inspired by him. If he read a book then I read it, if he listened to some music so did I. That way as a teenager I devoured Hemingway, Scott Fitzgerald, Lord of the Rings, all thanks to him. I listened to Led Zeppelin, Leonard Cohen, Cream all because of him. Left to my own devices I would probably have been stuck in a world of the Famous Five and Tamla Motown, but he broadened my horizons like nobody else.
I digress, I was thinking about my brother and social media.
On Sunday for British Mothers Day my son Facetimed me, while we were talking he then called my niece and lo and behold my brother appeared. He was very excited, he had discovered the good side of modern technology at last. He had been having a virtual lunch. When he saw us there was an initial panic about positioning the phone so as he didn't have a double chin, but once he was assured that it really didn't mater what we looked like he chattered happily and told us they were going to have Eton Mess, which made us all want to have some. For those who don't know Eton Mess is like a Pavlova, meringue, cream and raspberries and strawberries, in a mess.

After we had finished our conversation he sent me a text saying how much he had enjoyed it, how happy he was. My son managed to take photos of us while we were chatting, we look so happy, we were so happy, really really happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment