Monday 6 June 2022

Jubilee Reverie


 After four days of Jubilee events I feel a bit drained, so imagine how the Queen feels. She's probably having a nice cup of tea and a marmalade sandwich. The sketch with the Queen and Paddington Bear was arguably the most inspired and uplifting moment of the Jubilee.

Being in Italy and not having Sky I was limited in what I could watch. A friend invited us to her house to watch the trooping the colour and turned it into a very special event for us. We started with morning coffee then later prosecco and sandwiches and then when those who weren't British had had enough of watching what was for them rather monotonous we turned off the television and had lunch outside and admired her roses called Queen Elizabeth.

On Friday I rushed home to watch the service from St.Paul's cathedral. The cameras zoomed in on the family members and we were able to forget about covid, not a mask in sight and people singing their hearts out. It was moving, no doubt about it, the archbishop reminded us of the Queen's love of horse racing, using Ainstree and Epsom as examples of different races.

The women were impeccably dressed in ice cream colours and the men smart and groomed to perfection. I thought Prince Charles looked rather sad and of course the Queen is his mother and she wasn't there and it was about her, so all sorts of thoughts must have been going on in his head.

As the congregation filed out I thought the absence of the Queen made them appear vulnerable and my heart went out to them all, they remind us that all families are fragile.

The concert on Saturday wasn't televised here but friends sent photos and videos and of course the highlight of the whole four days was the Queen having tea with Paddington Bear and taking a marmalade sandwich out of her handbag which raised a smile and warmed our hearts.

On Sunday while watching the parade and drinking at least three cups of tea to feel the part I wandered down memory lane and re-lived some of the happiest moments of my youth. My cousins in the fifties dancing rock n roll, the morris minor of the people next door, Cliff Richard on the bus and remembering the film 'Summer Holiday' which perfectly captured that magical feeling of going from a rainy day in England to the warmth of the Mediterranean sun, the music that accompanied our youth, Carnaby Street and is that Bill and Ben going past? Memory is such a mystery, I could remember every programme of 'Watch with Mother' from when I was three or four. Monday-Picture Book, Tuesday- Andy Pandy, Wednesday- Rag, Tag and Bobtail, Thursday- Bill and Ben, Friday- The Wooden Tops. No nonstop television for us, just a few programmes sealed in our memories.

 The parade went on, and then Oh  my !when I saw the minis my heart exploded, I had a mini, my dad bought it for me, he brushed this generous gift aside telling me the roads were dangerous, a car is a weapon, I had to have a car that was safe on the roads. his generosity was overwhelming, I was a bit embarrassed having my own car but I loved the mini, I was at one with my mini, living in the countryside having my mini gave me freedom , I was like a bird that had learnt to fly, my heart was filled with gratitude to my dad.

The roads were easier then, patrol for 35p a gallon, traffic jams were rare, we could drive up to London and park in Trafalgar square. There with my cup of tea and watching that parade I was catapulted into my youth, my mum and dad were at home waiting for me, my heart was light and loving.I thought of all the people that I have known and loved, each decade that went past was full of the people that I loved and loved me, my aunts, uncles, cousins, neighbours, friends and my dear precious family and all the people that came into my life along the way and enriched my life.

 

The first Jubilee I was aware of was 1977, my uncle gave me a present of a glass dish made to commemorate the Jubilee. 'Do you believe it?' he kept saying and when the penny dropped 'Do you believe it? Jubilee it?' we giggled for ages at his wit.

Ed Sheerhan came on and sang 'Perfect', which was the perfect choice of course for all of us glad and grateful for those years. 

It was perfect.



No comments:

Post a Comment